Friday, April 28, 2017

What I've Read Lately

Being a new mom is hard. Your needs get put on the back burner so you can keep your new tiny human alive and happy. When my son was first born in August, I practically stopped reading. It's not that I didn't have the time, as newborns nurse and sleep a lot, I just didn't feel like reading. My favourite time to read is before bed when I can curl up in my bed with my book. I've done that since I was a little girl, and it's my favourite way to relax. Our son was sleeping in our room up until March when we moved, so I didn't really have that opportunity because once he went to bed, I wouldn't go in the room until I went to bed myself. Sure, I could read on the couch (and I do), but it's not the same.

Now that he's in his own room and I have my room back, I've been reading much more and I love it. I've written a few review posts lately, but I also wanted to write about the other books I've been reading.

We Were on a Break by Lindsey Kelk - I've written about my love of Kelks books before, and this one was no exception. I literally laughed out loud and woke my sleeping son up at one point. It was really funny, but also really sweet and thought-provoking. Liv and Adam decide to take a break from their relationship, but eventually consider possibly making the break permanent. I loved getting to read from both Liv and Adam's point of view, and I was really happy with the ending.

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir - I actually won this one back in August before it came out, but received it after my son was born. I started it back in October, but didn't finish until the other day, which is not because it wasn't good. I loved An Ember in the Ashes, and I loved this one, too. Laia, Elias, and Helene are fantastic characters and their stories have evolved so well in this book. I'm already excited for book 3.

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult - Picoult is one of my favourite authors and this did not disappoint. This was hard to read at first because a newborn dies in it, which as a new mother, that's definitely my biggest fear. It was a great read, and one that's very important these days. It tackles racism and will make you question your own views. I think this should be required reading in school because of the quality discussions it can inspire.

Never Let You Go by Chevy Stevens - Stevens is another of my favourite authors and again, this did not disappoint. I actually read this in 3 days or something, which is a feat these days. Stevens' books always mess with my head and leave me feeling a little creeped out. She takes every day instances and makes them terrifying. In this book, Lindsey and her daughter escaped an abusive marriage, but eleven years later, he's out of jail and Lindsey feels like he's stalking her. Creepy, right? This is something that could happen, which makes it all the more scary.

I may not have read a lot lately, but I've been reading some great books. My goal this year is 25 books because I'll be returning to work in August (which is breaking my heart), so I'm not sure how much reading I'll do once I have to also balance that. I need to prioritize reading, though, as it's very important to my mental well-being. So far I'm at 10 books, so maybe I can surpass my goal. I'll be happy as long as I keep reading good books!

No comments:

Post a Comment