Monday, December 7, 2015

Confess by Colleen Hoover

I have a weird relationship with Colleen Hoover's books. I love them, but at the same time, I don't. Earlier this year I read my first, which was Maybe Someday and I freaking loved it. It was so good, and such a breath of fresh air for me. Then I read Slammed and really liked that one, too, but have no interest in reading the other two books. Then came Ugly Love, which was not my favourite but still enjoyable. I had a lot of hope for Hopeless, but the ending was way too dramatic for the storyline.

Reading that paragraph, you'd probably wonder why I keep going back to her books. It's because they're so addicting and I really do love the way she's able to weave a story together. There is always something different about her characters and I appreciate that. You know you're going to get some sort of twist at some point, and that keeps me going back for more.



This month I decided to pick up Confess, and it's another one that I seem to have a love/hate relationship with. The prologue drew me in immediately, and left me needing to know about present day Auburn. Auburn is a weird character. I didn't hate her, and I definitely understood why she ended up doing the things she does, but at one point she says she can't be spineless for reasons (spoilers, so I won't say), and yet being spineless is exactly what she's being.

Owen was another odd character. Hoover's characters are all flawed, but Owen was trying so hard not to be flawed, but may very well be the most flawed. Again, I won't say why because spoilers, but why on earth would you go that far for someone? Maybe I'm just a bad person, but I certainly wouldn't do what he did. The resolution between Owen and his father felt way too forced, too. I really doubt that someone would change that quickly.

The relationship between Owen and Auburn was a little too instantaneous for me, which I do find is a theme in Hoover's books. Owen was driving me crazy constantly saying that Auburn deserved him and having to hear her say it. I didn't hate the pairing, though, as I think they would be good for each other. I just hate that it happened right away.

I loved the art and confession aspect to the story. I read this as an e-book, so the photos weren't in colour, but they were still beautiful. The things like the poetry in Slammed and the art in Confess is another reason why I love Colleen Hoover's books.

I gave this book a 3 out of 5 stars because I didn't absolutely love it, but I didn't hate it. I always enjoy myself as I'm reading the book. It's only after when I start to think about what I'm reading that I develop my love/hate feelings. That being said, I will continue to read Hoover's books because I like her style and I always love the twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment