Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Review: Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13481275-lost-lake?ac=1

I will be completely honest and say that what drew me to this book was its cover. I am a sucker for a pretty cover, and this one is beautiful. All that green and the pretty lanterns! That being said, the cover and the book itself did not disappoint at all.

Kate recently lost her husband, Matt, in a biking accident. She and her young daughter, Devin, have been trying to cope with the loss, though Kate hasn't been doing too well. Until one day she wakes up. That same day Devin finds a post card written years ago by Kate's great aunt Eby inviting her back to Lost Lake whenever she gets the chance. Lost Lake is the cottage resort owned and run by Eby and George. Kate decides that she needs to go see how Eby, George, and Lost Lake are doing.

They're not doing very well, apparently. George has since died, and Eby is getting ready to sell Lost Lake to a developer because she wants to return to Europe. Throughout the story, we get to meet the lake's regular summar visitors. Selma (beautiful woman who seems to bewitch males), Bulahdeen (a sweet, grandmotherly type), and Jack (the strong silent type in love with Lisette), as well as Lisette (Eby's best friend who was born without a voice box) who works at the cottages, Wes who was Kate's childhood friend, and various other townspeople.

From the description, it may sound like just another summer by the lake story, but it's much more than that. It's about healing, knowing when, and how, to move on, and waking up. Plus, there's the storyline about an alligator that only Devin can see. Who doesn't like seemingly invisible alligators?

I loved the slight magic to this book, which I've come to understand is common for a Sarah Addison Allen novel. It wasn't big and in your face, but it was there adding magic to the already lovely words.

I loved Devin. She reminded me a bit of a modern Anne of Green Gables. She was unique and not afraid to be who she was. She was smart beyond her years, but still had that childhood innocence and wonder to her.

The prose and descriptions were great, and I felt myself dreaming about the cottages my family and I have been to a couple of times. This was the perfect book to read in the dark, cold days of January.

This was my fist Allen book, but now I want to go back and read all of her other books. If they're any bit as enchanting as Lost Lake, then count me in.

My favourite passage from the book:
 
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars based on Goodreads rating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment